Importance of Eye Testing
Your eyes are one of your most important senses. If you experience problems with your eyes and sight, your whole life can be affected. As you get older your eyesight will change, hence a change in vision requires regular eye tests. Below are a few reasons why it is recommended to test your eyes.
- Poor eyesight is particularly dangerous when driving and you must meet the legal
requirement for driving.
- An eye exam will tell you whether your sight can be improved with glasses/lenses
and determine the best form of correction for your vision.
- If you loose your eyesight, it will never be replaced.
- Unlike other parts of your body, your eyes do not usually hurt when there is something
wrong with them. Thus, regular eye examinations will reveal any conditions, which you
may not even be aware of.
- The eye examination can pick up early signs of potentially blinding eye conditions,
such as glaucoma.
- If you have an eye condition, the earlier it is detected the greater the chance of
- An eye exam can detect health problems such as high blood pressure and diabetes.
If you have not had an eye exam for over two years, book an eye test with one of our optometrists.
Children’s Eye Testing
Children’s Eye Health
The eye of young children should be routinely checked to identify any problems early on in their development. It is important to identify problems early because any problems can affect speck and language development, social skills and educational development.
Below are some of the more common vision problems in children:
Colour Blindness – difficulty seeing colours or distinguishing between 2 colors
Myopia – Short Sightedness – a very common eye condition that causes distant objects to appear blurred
Hyperopia – Long Sightedness – nearby objects are seen out of focus.
Astigmatism – the cornea , the layer at the front of the eye is not perfectly curved.
Squint – Stabismus – the eyes look in different directions
Lazy Eye – Amblyopia – the vision in one eye does not develop properly
Cataracts – cloudy patches in the eye that present from birth.